Monday, May 22, 2006

I think I saw a Cooper's Hawk

in our yard on Thursday. It was very large with brown coloring and stripes on it's tail. There was a lot of squawking going on all over our yard and I saw this thing in a tree, and it landed on the lawn for a few minutes. Frank and I were standing on the deck and looking on in awe (not being particularly quiet) and ended up scaring it away. Frank (age 2) is always impressed with anything that can be described as "BIG! " I looked at our Birds of Wisconsin book and my best guess is a juvenile Cooper's Hawk.

UPDATE: I think I figured it out (it was pretty far away and it wasn't on the grass for long). I think it's much more likely to have been a Ruffed Grouse. Silly me. :)

No comments: